Great Breakfast and Brunch Options in Kansas City
Kansas City has you covered for the most important meal of the day. The culinary destination’s collection of high-quality brunch establishments and low-fuss breakfast options keep diners satisfied, whether you’re up early and ready to take on the day or slowly easing into your weekend.
Savor some of the most popular breakfast and brunch dining spots in KC:
Upscale Brunch Restaurants
Mid-morning date or special brunch gathering, these classy restaurants serve up handcrafted cuisine and creative cocktails to help you make the most of your first meal of the day.
- Rye: Pair modern Midwest comfort food like biscuits & gravy with sweet favorites like cinnamon rolls and daily-made donuts at the Country Club Plaza and in Leawood.
- Affäre: Tour Western Europe by enjoying dishes at this German restaurant in the Crossroads Arts District with dishes like artisan bratwursts, jägerschnitzel and dumplings.
- Bristol Seafood + Steak + Social: With fresh seafood flown in each day, you can’t really go wrong with the brunch buffet at Bristol in the heart of the Power & Light District—including charred calamari, lobster mac & cheese, and made-to-offer Belgian waffles.
- The Campground: The Campground makes cool look easy. Travel to the West Bottoms to take in the lowkey atmosphere among drinks and fresh plates like chicken fried quail and root veggie hash.
- Room 39: Nestled in the funky West 39th Street neighborhood, Room 39 presents local, seasonal fare expertly crafted by Chef Ted Habiger.
- Gram & Dun: A Plaza mainstay, Gram & Dun offers a creative-yet-comforting menu featuring everything from chicken & waffles to burnt end mac & cheese.
- Voltaire: Also located in the West Bottoms, Voltaire presents a decidedly refined experience of elevated, New American entrees such as pozole and lemon ricotta pancakes.
- Westport Café & Bar: Arrive early to grab a seat at this elegant French bistro with a distinctly old-world ambiance that transports guests to the romantic streets of Paris courtesy of croque madames, crepes, and steak frites.
Post up with a drink in hand and enjoy the sights and bites at one of the many trendy brunch hangs in the metro.
- Port Fonda: Larger-than-life chalupas, a bloody mary bar and delectable house-made chips—Port Fonda specializes in its own unique take on modern Mexican dining.
- BLVD Tavern: Snug and stylish, BLVD Tavern in the Crossroads is your go-to for crave-worthy brunch items like chicken biscuits, mimosa and fried cheese curds.
- Char Bar: Barbecue always belongs on a KC food rundown, and you belong at Westport’s Char Bar, where burnt ends, smoked sausage, savory cornbread and other must-trys keep guests coming back for more.
- The Corner Restaurant: The downhome meals at The Corner Restaurant—made with regionally sourced ingredients and featuring items like build-your-own scrambles and vegetable hashes—are excellent ways to start your day.
- Happy Gillis: This Columbus Park joint is about as charming as breakfast and brunch places get. Settle at a table with friends or family to order a tuna melt or zucchini fritters and just enjoy your time together. That’s the magic of Happy Gillis.
- La Bodega: La Bodega has mastered the art of tapas. The Spanish restaurant makes for an ideal gathering spot for boozier affairs, like bachelor/ette parties and other celebrations.
- The Russell: The fire-roasted dishes prepared by the team at The Russell taste as good as they look (and smell). Make the journey to the Main Street location to enjoy its rustic, sun-soaked vibes, breakfast tacos and avocado toast.
- Seven Swans Creperie: One of the trendiest breakfast and brunch locations in the metro concentrates on savory and sweet crepes served up in a fashionable space.
- The Farmhouse: Farm-to-table bites in the scenic River Market neighborhood. Travel via KC Streetcar to soak in the sunlight on its primo patio.
- Banksia: Nowhere else in the city serves an Australian-inspired menu, featuring pastries, hotcakes, burritos and more. Don’t pass it by.
- Messenger Coffee Co.: It would be easy to forget the morning menu served at Messenger because the coffee is so good—but, then again, so is the breakfast.
- Snooze: Snooze is a buzzy Westport eatery that features a strong showing of plant-powered dishes—like sweet potato hash and flavorful bowls—as well as a wide variety of benedicts, pancakes, sandwiches and other notable meals.
Classic Diners and Fast Fare
No frills here. Find all your favorite diner fare at one of these iconic restaurants.
- Town Topic: A late-night and early-morning classic, through and through. Try simply made and simply delicious burgers, omelets, breakfast sandwiches, pancakes and more, open 24/7.
- City Diner: Find retro-styled City Diner at the edge of The City Market to enjoy a trip back in time for your morning meal.
- Winstead’s: Another diner icon, Winstead’s touts old-school flair alongside breakfast staples like pancakes, steak & egg sandwiches and plenty of hot coffee.
- Kate’s Kitchen: This family joint in the Northland always satisfies thanks to fresh and hearty diner meals.
- Mildred’s: Great for work or getting meals to go, Mildred’s is the rare coffee shop with a food menu that rivals its caffeine selection. Find it Downtown and in the Crossroads.
- Succotash: Don’t let anyone tell you that it’s too early for dessert, because family-friendly Succotash is famous for its eight-layer cake, plus fresh juices and popular breakfast selections.
- The Corner Cafe: Another Northland standard. The Corner Cafe is a bustling meeting place with a substantial menu of homespun fare.