Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Options in Kansas City
Plant-based dining is more than a trend or a flash in the pan. More affordable and available than ever before, Kansas City’s vegan and vegetarian options offer healthy, sustainable menus without sacrificing flavor or taste.
No compromises are made at these hotspots powered by plants.
- Mattie's Foods: Find comfort in plant-based breakfast and lunch dishes ranging from biscuits and pancakes to nachos and burritos, all available in a cozy shop along E 63rd Street.
- Gigi's Vegan + Wellness Cafe: This sustainable shop in Westport prepares a menu of noodles, burgers, salads and a collection of nutrient-rich juices.
- Mud Pie Vegan Coffeehouse and Bakery: This funky hangout sets the bar high for vegan baked goods in Kansas City. Find it in Overland Park.
- Happy Apple Café: Treat yourself to seasonal menus featuring cozy meals—such as plant-based burnt ends—at Happy Apple Café on Troost Avenue.
- The Fix: Found on the blossoming E 31st Street, The Fix offers a laid-back menu in its cozy, sunlight-filled space.
- Café Gratitude: With self-affirming dish names like I Am Fulfilled and I Am Magical, everything about this Crossroads Arts District restaurant is a feel-good experience.
While not entirely vegetarian or vegan, these restaurants make great selections thanks to a wide variety of veggie menu items.
- Baba's Pantry: An award-winning Palestinian-American restaurant on E 63rd Street, the majority of menu items at Baba's Pantry are accommodating to vegan diets.
- Swagat Fine Indian Cuisine: Travel to Zona Rosa to enjoy a huge offering of vegetarian menu items made from Northern Indian culinary traditions, including paneer masala, vegetable curry and more.
- Billie's Grocery: Take a peek inside the dazzling pastry case for a lineup of vegan cookies, donuts, cakes and more.
- Blue Nile Café: Sample vegetarian and vegan Ethiopian dishes like shimbera watt and sambusas right in the heart of The City Market.
- Vietnam Café: An extensive menu of vegetarian options makes this authentic Vietnamese restaurant ideal for plant-based diners.
- Café Sebastienne: Tap into your inner artist at Café Sebastienne, a creative concept that not only serves as the resident restaurant at Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, it's also dedicated to elevating plant-based dining options.
- Blue Sushi Sake Grill: The vegan menu at Blue Sushi's locations in Power & Light and Westwood keep sushi lovers satisfied with creative takes on traditional styles, including barbecue eggplant eel and tomato tuna.
- Mesob: Midtown's beloved Ethiopian hotspot prepares a variety of plant-based entrees fueled by mushrooms and lentils, ensuring plates are friendly to vegetarian and vegan diners.
- True Food Kitchen: Find this trendy national name on the Country Club Plaza to enjoy vegan and vegetarian salads, pizza, grain bowls, sandwiches and more.
- Seven Swans Creperie: Make the journey to this Westside hideaway for a bright, colorful selection of crepes that match the restaurant's vibrant interiors. A full vegan menu makes ordering easy.
- The Russell: Fire-roasted veggies never tasted so good. With an expansive menu of salads, soups, shareables and sandwiches, there’s almost no going wrong at The Russell.
- Beer Kitchen: The build-your-own macaroni and cheese is enough to satisfy any vegetarian, but with a full vegan menu featuring items like jackfruit tamales, Westport’s Beer Kitchen is one of the more accommodating restaurants in the metro.
- Mildred's: One of the most popular breakfast destinations in the city promises to delight all kinds of guests. Stop by for a vegan breakfast wrap or hash.
Plant-Based Barbecue Options
Even Kansas City’s celebrated barbecue scene offers smoked delicacies for vegetarian diners.
- Char Bar Smoked Meats & Amusements: With its famous smoked jackfruit sandwich (as well as other meatless mains, sides and appetizers), Char Bar deserves credit as KC’s most vegetarian-friendly barbecue joint.
- Jazzy B’s BBQ: Fans of smoked portabella need look no further than Jazzy B’s in Lee's Summit, which features both tacos and burgers for vegetarian guests.
- Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Que: Try the portabello Z-Man for a veggie twist on one of the most renowned barbecue dishes in the entire city.