Diet- and Allergy-Friendly Restaurants in KC
Dining with a diet, an allergy or an intolerance is simple without the sacrifice thanks to Kansas City’s innovative chefs and flexible culinary techniques. Authentic and delicious, the city’s transformed cuisine means more options than ever for vegetarians, vegans, gluten-free diners and more.
Here are some of the most diet- and allergy-friendly restaurants in KC:
Vegetarian and Vegan Options
- Café Gratitude: A Crossroads Arts District gem that touts a plant-based, 100-percent organic menu.
- Mud Pie: Located in the 39th Street District, Kansas City’s only all-vegan bakery and coffeehouse adds sweetness to anyone’s day.
- Pirate’s Bone: Beet burger or nitro cold brew, the vegan menu and caffeine pick-me-ups at Pirate’s Bone combine for a fresh take on local cafés.
- Blue Nile Café: Travel to the River Market for a taste of Ethiopian cuisine and a menu full of vegan and veggie meals.
- The Antler Room: Fine dining meets neighborly atmosphere in this creative tapas establishment near Hospital Hill
- The Westside Local: Farm-fresh ingredients star at this eclectic restaurant in the Westside neighborhood.
- Blue Koi: Savor Chinese comfort food at this popular hotspot. Pro tip: Start with crispy tofu served alongside “awesome sauce.”
- Corvino Supper Club & Tasting Room: This shared plates restaurant offers plenty of meat-free items thanks to innovative spins on veggie dishes.
- Char Bar: Sample KC’s signature cuisine with low- and slow-smoked vegetarian options such as the Jackknife, a jackfruit sandwich.
- Habashi House: Middle Eastern staple dishes such as falafel and baba ghanoush are mainstays in this River Market restaurant.
- Chai Shai: Gather your group for modern Indian and Pakistani dishes, including saag paneer, pakora curry and others.
- Lulu’s Thai Noodle Shop: As accommodating as any restaurant in the area, Lulu’s dishes out vegetarian takes on Thai and noodle classics.
- Café Europa: Union Hill or Crestwood, this cozy establishment offers up fresh takes on everyday favorites.
- La Bodega: The gluten-free options are nearly endless at this Spanish tapas hangout in both Leawood and Southwest Boulevard.
- Waldo Pizza: Family-friendly establishment with tasty gluten-free options, including pizzas, sandwiches, salads and desserts.
- The Oliver: Contemporary American dining with inventive cocktails and a chic setting on the Country Club Plaza.
- t.Loft: Cleansing or simply in search of clean eats, this Plaza health café offers a totally gluten-free menu of salads, bowls, shakes and more.
- Succotash: This funky brunch spot has plenty for all appetites, including gluten-free short stacks to start your morning right.
- Mission Taco: This Crossroads and South Plaza hangout offers something for everyone thanks to unique street tacos made with corn tortillas.
- Bristol: While not a gluten-free environment, those with allergies can count on everything from fresh fish to creative sides, all prepared for gluten-sensitive diets.
- Genghis Khan: A build-your-own Mongolian meal means dairy is always optional.
- Shio Ramen: This Midtown favorite keeps it simple with a strong stable of daily bowls and seasonal selections.
- Joe’s Kansas City Bar-B-Que: Stay away from the cheesy and creamy sides and your dairy-free diet will do just fine at this iconic barbecue spot.
- Spin! Neapolitan Pizza: The dairy-free cheese option satisfies diners young and old at this casual pizza joint.
- Miami Ice: Shaved ice keeps customers cool during warmer months, all without the dairy so frequently found in ice cream and custard.