7 Festive KC Holiday Districts
Sightseeing, shopping, celebrating or something in between, savor the season in seven of KC’s most entertaining holiday hubs.
Country Club Plaza
- Plaza Lights + Lighting Ceremony: Timeless in every way imaginable, the Plaza Lighting Ceremony is a quintessential KC holiday tradition—and a delightful reminder of the Spanish-inspired Country Club Plaza’s undeniable beauty. More info.
- Holiday Shopping: Seasonal shoppers will find everything needed for presents, from high-end jewelry and local goods to wrapping paper and ornaments.
Downtown/Power & Light District
- Downtown Dazzle: A city as great as KC deserves a season-long celebration of the holidays. Downtown Dazzle does just that—and so much more—thanks to exclusive experiences, an uber-popular urban homes tour and other festive merriments. More info.
- KC Streetcar: Travel from one Downtown district to the next in the super-convenient, totally free KC Streetcar to reach dining, shopping and entertainment destinations, including The City Market’s holiday maker fair, A Very Merry Market.
- A Christmas Carol: Charles Dickens’ yuletide classic is sure to remind audiences about the true spirit of the season. Catch the Kansas City Repertory Theatre production at the wonderful Spencer Theatre. More info.
Crown Center District
- Mayor’s Christmas Tree + Lighting Ceremony: Crown Center’s magnificent centerpiece towers more than 100 feet high and is illuminated by 7,200-plus white bulbs, proving it a proud showcase of KC’s seasonal spirit. More info.
- Shopping: Mark every gift off your list (and be sure to check it twice) at hot retail spots such as Halls Kansas City and Function Junction.
- Union Station Spirit: Greet the Holiday Express Train as it rolls into station and pose for a picture-perfect photo op in front of Union Station’s colossal Christmas fir. More info.
- Northern Lights: Gift-getting feels more royal than ever amongst the decorative, larger-than-life crowns illuminated each holiday evening at Zona Rosa, a premier shopping district in the Northland. More info.
- Breakfast with the Fairy Princess: This kid-friendly morning festivity at Zona Rosa appeals to everyone’s inner-princess. More info.
- PJ Party with St. Nick: Celebrate Christmas with the man in red himself. This Zona Rosa event features complimentary cookies and milk, plus live entertainment. Dress code? Pajamas, of course. More info.
- Luminary Walk: Wander through the winter wilderness as thousands of candles illuminate pathways and lights shine on trees, buildings and bridges at the Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens. More info.
- Holiday Lights on Farmstead Lane: Onlookers are sure to be wowed by this spectacular display hosted by the Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead, featuring animated lights synchronized to seasonal music. More info.
- Youth Ballet: Head to Johnson County Community College’s stellar Carlsen Center to experience Tchaikovsky’s timeless tale, The Nutcracker, as performed by the American Youth Ballet. More info.
- Victorian Holiday Elegance: Tour Vaile Victorian Mansion, one of Independence’s oldest and most beautiful homes, decked out in all of its holiday glory. More info.
- Holiday Home Tour: Make your way to the Bingham-Waggoner Estate, where you’ll find a seasonal home tour featuring live music, refreshments, gifts and more. More info.
- Independence Square Holiday Lighting: Witness the beauty of Independence Square in an entirely new light as holiday decorations illuminate the historic district. More info.
More holiday events
3901 SW Longview Rd.
Lee's Summit, MO 64081
11101 Raytown Road
Kansas City, MO 64134
3901 SW Longview Park Drive
Lee's, MO 64134
8010 E Park Rd.
Lee's Summit, MO 64064
3783 Highway K68
Louisburg, KS 66053
2309 Aull Lane
Lexington, MO 64067
300 W. 12th St.
Kansas City, MO 64105