9 Festive KC Holiday Districts
Sightseeing, shopping, celebrating or something in between, savor the season in nine of KC’s most entertaining holiday hubs.
Country Club Plaza
- Plaza Lights + Lighting Ceremony: Timeless in every way imaginable, the Plaza Lighting Ceremony is a quintessential KC holiday tradition—and a delightful reminder of the Spanish-inspired Country Club Plaza’s undeniable beauty. More info.
- Holiday Shopping: Seasonal shoppers will find everything needed for presents, from high-end jewelry and local goods to wrapping paper and ornaments. Get started with a guide to shopping on the Country Club Plaza.
Downtown/Power & Light District
- Merry Market: Head to the City Market for an artisan extravaganza in partnership with Art Garden KC. More than 75 local artists and makers, plus many more events and activities, will fill the neighborhood every weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas. More info.
- NYE Live!: The Kansas City Power & Light District is home to an unmatched New Year's Eve celebration. Make your way to KC Live! to ring in the new year with confetti cannons, champagne toasts and plenty of places to celebrate.
- KC Streetcar: Travel from one Downtown district to the next in the super-convenient, totally free KC Streetcar to reach dining, shopping and entertainment destinations all along the route.
Crown Center District
- Mayor’s Christmas Tree + Lighting Ceremony: Crown Center’s magnificent centerpiece towers more than 100 feet high and is illuminated by thousands of white bulbs, proving it a proud showcase of KC’s seasonal spirit. More info.
- Shopping: Mark every gift off your list (and be sure to check it twice) at hot retail spots such as Halls Kansas City and Function Junction. Save some time to step outside for the Strawberry Swing's 13th Annual Holiday Swing on Crown Center Square, featuring countless local makers across four weekends in November and December.
- Union Station Spirit: In addition to its massive model-train display and KC's largest indoor holiday tree, visitors will also be dazzled by the Holiday Reflections walk-through village in Grand Hall beginning Nov. 20.
- Northern Lights: Gift-getting feels more royal than ever amongst the decorative, larger-than-life crowns illuminated each holiday evening at Zona Rosa, a premier shopping district in the Northland. More info.
- The Rink at Zona Rosa: Lace up and hit the ice at Zona Rosa's skating rink. The venue is open daily through February, with skate rentals, private lessons and more special activities available. More info.
- Luminary Walk: Wander through the winter wilderness as thousands of candles illuminate pathways and lights shine on trees, buildings and bridges at the Overland Park Arboretum & Botanical Gardens. More info.
- Holiday Lights on Farmstead Lane: Onlookers are sure to be wowed by this spectacular display hosted by the Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead, featuring animated lights synchronized to seasonal music. More info.
- Victorian Holiday Elegance: Tour Vaile Victorian Mansion, one of Independence’s oldest and most beautiful homes, decked out in all of its holiday glory. More info.
- Holiday Home Tour: Make your way to the Bingham-Waggoner Estate, where you’ll find a seasonal home tour featuring live music, refreshments, gifts and more. More info.
- Independence Square Holiday Lighting: Witness the beauty of Independence Square in an entirely new light as holiday decorations illuminate the historic district. More info.
- Legendary Tree Lighting: Light up the night in this favorite tradition at Legends Outlets Kansas City, featuring hot cocoa, photos with Santa and much more. More info.
- Enchant Christmas: A brand new holiday experience arrives at Legends Field, taking guests on a winding journey through a light maze and an ice skating trail. More info.
- Seasonal Savings: Find the perfect gift at Legends Outlets in Village West, where big-name brands highlight dozens of shopping destinations.
- Vintage and Antique Adventures: Shop for everyone on your list (and find a few treats for yourself) in the neighborhood's vast, sprawling vintage retail stores. The first weekend of the month is especially promising.
- Local Libations: Sink into the welcoming leather booths at Stockyards Brewing Co. or stay warm around the fire at the Campground.
Access more holiday resources to find all the ways you can celebrate the season in Kansas City, from stunning displays to shopping hotspots.