Celebrate Mom This Mother's Day, Kansas City Style
This article originally appeared on KCParent.com as part of their 100 Days of Summer Blog (http://ow.ly/kojE8) by Kristina Light
- Mother's Day Paint Me a Story at Paint, Glaze & Fire (12683 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park, KS) May 1 from 6-7pm or May 3 from 10:30-11:30am. Read the book, "I Love You More" and make a project for mom! Come to Paint, Glaze and Fire to paint a special pottery project that goes along with a favorite children's book. A wonderful time for parents (grandparents or nanny) and children to listen to a story and paint together! $15.00 includes ceramic piece & snack. $13 for additional siblings. Ages 2+. Spaced Limited 12 kids. Call 913.661.CLAY(2529) for reservations.
- Mother's Day Planters at Mill Creek Activity Center/ Natureplay Preschool (6518 Vista Drive Shawnee, KS) May 10, 2013 from 9:30 am until 11:00 am. For this class, please bring one small container—an old shoe! Any size will do. We’ll make a flowering gift for mom. Class will meet at the Mill Creek Activity Center. $12 per child. Call 913.826.2958 to register.
- Mother’s Day Create and Take at Roeland Park Community Center (4850 Rosewood Dr. Roeland Park, KS) May 11, 2013 from 10:30 am until 12:00 pm. Bring Mom to the Roeland Park Community Center where she and the whole family can create art work worthy of any room in the house! Lunch will be served and each family member will receive their own canvas to paint. Examples will be given but individuality and creativity are encouraged. Take your masterpiece home with you the same day! This inspiring event is just $14 for adults ($15 nonresidents) and $10 per child ($11 nonresidents.) Call (913) 826-3160 to register. Registration deadline is May 3.
- Build a Sweetheart Frame at Lowe's Stores Across the Metro May 11, 2013 from 10:00 am until 11:00 am. FREE Workshop! Each child receives a free apron, patch, and certificate. Build a Sweetheart Frame for Mom for Mother's Day!
Special Events to Celebrate Mother's Day
- The First Ladies Tea at Anna Marie's Teas in Liberty, MO May 11, 2013 at 10:30am or 2:30pm. A tea party crafted around several of our First Ladies of America and their own special tea customs. This tea party is a perfect time to celebrate all the women, mothers, daughters, and loved ones. A wonderful way to celebrate Mother's Day! Reservations Required.
- Mother Daughter Expo 2013 at Kansas City Convention Center (301 W. 13th St Grand Ballrooms C & D Kansas City, MO) May 11, 2013 from 10:00 am until 9:00 pm. A time to celebrate those special ladies in your lives while helping the Susan G. Komen Passionately Pink for the Cure! Come spend the day treating her to fun, food, fashion, pammpering, educational tips, beauty inside and out, latest trends (becoming your own trend setter), massages, hair care, nails, etc. A full day of "all about us!". Later in the evening is time for mommas only. A time to let your hair down! Wine sampling, more food, dance if you want to, and just a night of carefree fun! $15/ea.
- Mother Daughter Day of Fun at The Doll Cradle (10809 Johnson Dr. Shawnee, KS) May 11, 2013 from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm. (A Come & Go Event). Girls, Moms, Grandmothers, Aunts, Sisters, & Friends are all invited. Bring your favorite doll, dress in your best, and pose for a special memory photo... our gift to you. Sweet treats, tea, & lemonade will be served. Special Prices on American Girl Items. Call 913-631-1900 for reservations.
- Annual Mother & Daughter Tea at John Wornall House Museum (6115 Wornall Kansas City, MO) May 11, 2013 from 2:00 pm until 4:00 pm. Are you a fan of Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy? Share a once in a lifetime experience with your mother, grandmother and/or daughter during our Little Women-themed Tea. To purchase tickets, call (816) 444-1858. Cost: $25 per Mother-Daughter pair ($5 for every extra guest)
- StoneLion Puppet Theatre's Mother's Day For Mother Earth at Nelson Atkins Museum of Art (4525 Oak St. Kansas City, MO) May 12, 2013 from 1:00 pm until 4:00 pm. FREE Event! Noon-4 p.m. interactive activities around the museum. 1:30 p.m. Pre show. 2:00 p.m. Mother’s Day for Mother Earth giant puppet play. StoneLion’s Annual puppet show of ENORMOUS proportions! For the seventh year StoneLion Puppet Theatre will celebrate Mother’s Day with Kansas City’s largest puppet show, Mother’s Day for Mother Earth. Larger than life puppets, professional actors, original music, dancers, community participants and you will celebrate the spring on the lawn of The Nelson Atkins Museum of Art. This free event has attracted over 3500 audience members and grows annually. Viewers from as far away as Sweden have joined our local residents in a day of celebration for our planet and families with 20’ tall puppets such as Orca whales, giant bugs and peacocks. What will this year be? Bring your picnic, set up a lawn chair, tour the museum, make your own puppet at our craft tables and enjoy the day.
- FREE Admission for Mom on Mother's Day at the Kansas City Zoo (6800 Zoo Dr. Kansas City , MO) May 12, 2013 from 9:30 am until 4:00 pm. The Zoo is honoring moms on this joyful Sunday with free admission. Show your mom some love by bringing her to the Zoo on this special day. The Zoo will be blossoming with spring flowers and our animal friends will surely put a smile on her face.
- Moms Play FREE at Cool Crest (10735 E. US Highway 40 Independence , MO) May 12, 2013. Happy Mother's Day! Moms Play Free Mini Golf with each paying player at regular price! Bring the kids & play!
- Mother's Day Brunch & Concert at Powell Gardens (1609 N.W. U.S. Highway 50 Kingsville, MO) May 12, 2013. This is a tradition mom will seriously love! May is a perfect time to see Powell Gardens in its spring glory and you can never go wrong with a sumptious brunch. If mom is the outdoorsy type, you can bring a picnic to enjoy on the lawn while listening to Brookside Brass. Reservations Required
- Mother's Day at the Louisburg Cider Mill (14730 K68 Highway Louisburg, KS) May 12, 2013. May is “Berry Month.” All preserves and jellies made with berries are 10% off during the month of May. (store purchase only). Also, enjoy a FREE small cider and one cider donut to all Moms on Mother’s Day, May 12th. The shop features bountiful supply of gift baskets in our store which can be carried out or shipped anywhere in the U.S.
- Free Admission for Mom at the Truman Library at Harry S. Truman Library & Museum (500 W. US Hwy. 24. Independence , MO) May 12, 2013 from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm. In honor of Mother's Day, Museum admission for mothers is free. Mr. Truman, as portrayed by re-enactor Niel Johnson, will visit his presidential Museum and greet visitors from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Mother's Day at Spencer Museum of Art (1301 Mississippi Lawrence, KS) May 12, 2013 from 12:00 pm until 4:00 pm. Make a visit to the Spencer Museum in Lawrence a part of your Mother's Day tradition. Be serenaded by live music and explore works of art that celebrate mothers as muses.