March Basketball in Kansas City
Kansas City’s love affair with college basketball stands out more than ever during the month of March as the city prepares to host postseason play for four big-time collegiate organizations. Each tournament showcases the highest level of talent in their respective levels of play, as well as rabid fan bases ready to support their teams through the final possession. Remember to act fast—tickets sell out quickly.
Kansas City goes all out every March, hosting dozens of basketball games and teams from across the country. Here's how to ensure you don't miss a moment of the action.
2022 MIAA MEN'S AND WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS
- The MIAA is comprised of 14 accredited small colleges and universities in North America.
- Each competition will host 10 teams in an 9-game, single-elimination format.
- Tickets will be available via Ticketmaster, campus ticket offices and at the Municipal Box Office. Single-game tickets start as low as $20 per person.
- The championship games will be held Sunday, March 6, at 1 p.m. (women's) and 3:30 p.m. (men's).
2022 PHILLIPS 66 BIG 12 MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
- One of the most exhilarating college basketball conference tournaments in the country, the 2022 Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's Basketball Championship welcomes nine teams to T-Mobile Center for the 13th consecutive year of competition in KC.
- The tournament festivities feature far more than just basketball, including spirit rallies, the Big 12 Run and much more, all right in the high-energy Power & Light District. Full details on all of the activities can be found here.
- A Kansas City tradition, the competition features eight games in four days, with the championship match taking place on Saturday, March 12.
- Limited single-session tickets are on sale now.
2022 PHILLIPS 66 BIG 12 WOMEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
- The 2022 Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball Championship welcomes 10 teams to Municipal Auditorium for nine exciting matchups, as well as other fan activities.
- 2022 marks the second consecutive year in which both the Women's and Men's Big 12 Basketball Championships will take place in KC.
- Tickets are on sale now. All-session tickets begin at $50 and single-session tickets begin at $10.
84th Annual NAIA Men’s Basketball National Championship
- As college basketball’s oldest national championship, the men’s tournament returns to Kansas City for the 76th time in 2022 (1937-1943; 1945-1975; and 2002-2019; 2021-present).
- The tournament attracts nearly 40,000 fans over its six-day stretch.
- The NAIA is comprised of nearly 300 accredited small colleges and universities in North America.
- The competition will host 16 teams in a 15-game, single-elimination format.
History of College Basketball in Kansas City
Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, MO
Basketball in Kansas City is more than just another sport—it’s a regional pastime. From James Naismith, innovator and inventor of basketball, to college basketball’s longest running tournament the NAIA’s National College Basketball Tournament, Kansas City remains a fervent basketball town.