Itinerary – Couple's Weekend in KC
Whether it’s your first trip together or you’ve been escaping here for years, you’ll find that Kansas City’s potent mix of luxury lodging, unforgettable sightseeing and romantic dining destinations make for the perfect couple’s getaway. No wonder it’s been named one of America’s most romantic cities. All that’s left is to book your trip.
Guide your experience with this itinerary for a couple’s weekend in KC:
Friday Evening – Settle In
Arrive in town and settle into your digs. Try out either The Raphael or The Fontaine, two of Country Club Plaza’s finest hotels. After you’ve dropped your bags off, stroll down to The Plaza for a bite or to shake off the travel with a craft cocktail.
- Jax Fish House & Oyster Bar: Grab dinner at this sustainable seafood establishment known for its fresh flavor. Not too hungry? Split a few appetizers or oysters from the raw bar during happy hour.
- The Monarch Cocktail Bar & Lounge: One of KC's finest cocktail bars touts an unbeatable ambiance—and even better drinks, handcrafted by excellent bartenders.
Saturday Morning – Slow Start
Weekends in Kansas City are defined by exploring one neighborhood to the next. So start your Saturday morning slowly and ease into the fun by heading to Westport, a hip district just north of The Plaza.
- Oddly Correct: Single origin roasts, biscuit creations and cozy hangs define Oddly, a coffee shop at the corner of the neighborhood but firmly planted in the center of the culture.
- Beer Kitchen: Head back to the center of Westport to hit up KC’s first gastropub for elevated comfort food such as chicken and waffles, Dutch babies and a variety of daytime drinks.
Saturday Noon – Stock Up On Souvenirs
After you’ve fueled up in Westport, wander around town in search of unique keepsakes to remember your Kansas City trip.
- Made in Kansas City: With locations around the metro (including in the Crossroads Arts District, Country Club Plaza, Overland Park and even a Downtown cafe), you're never far from a one-of-a-kind KC souvenir thanks to this retailer that sources locally made products from around the region.
- Boulevard Brewing Co.: The founder of KC’s craft beer scene continues to innovate—to the benefit of visitors and locals alike. Swing by the brewer’s Beer Hall for tastes from 24 different taps, tours (sign up early, spots fill up fast!) and exclusive swag.
- Power & Light District: Two souvenir standouts call P&L home: Garment District Boutique, a collective featuring local brands and styles, and Rally House, home to a wide assortment of collegiate and professional apparel.
Saturday Night – Out in the Crossroads
Travel back Downtown—this time to the Crossroads Arts District—for a creative neighborhood tour devoted to romance.
- Tom's Town: KC’s first legal distillery since Prohibition is the ideal spot to be after dinner (or before, if you prefer). Toast your relationship with handcrafted drinks—made using ‘20s-style spirits—and linger to enjoy the Gatsby-era atmosphere together.
- Green Lady Lounge: A quick jaunt across the district leads you to one of the best nightlife spots in the city. Free cover, good drinks and, most importantly, smooth jazz make the Green Lady an essential date-night stop.
- Live Music: Kansas City's live music scene is thriving. Rock out at outdoor hotspots like Crossroads KC at Grinders or longtime favorites like recordBar.
Sunday Morning – Wind Down the Weekend
Before you head back home, make sure you finish the weekend right by visiting some Kansas City favorites.
- Happy Gillis Café & Hangout: One of the most popular breakfast/brunch/lunch destinations in the area, wake up after your night out with farm-fresh fare and morning libations, if you so desire.
- The City Market: No KC weekend trip is complete without touring The City Market’s farmers market, a rain-or-shine showcase of the area’s finest produce, spices, goods and more.
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art: Speaking of things that can’t be missed, this museum is one of the finest such institutions in the country—and completely free. Marvel at its collection before heading home after a successful romantic weekend in KC.
Looking to plan the perfect couple’s outing? Explore all there is to do and see in the City of Fountains with our go-to guide for traveling with your significant other.