Resources for LGBTQ+ Travelers
- AIDS Walk Kansas City, April 24, 2021: Organized by the AIDS Service Foundation of Greater Kansas City, the annual fundraiser at Theis Park supports the more than 5,700 men, women and children living with HIV/AIDS in Kansas City. The organization also produces several other fundraising events each year.
- Kansas City Pride, August 21-22, 2021: The highly-anticipated festival invites performers, musicians and guests to gather for a multi-day celebration each year. Watch for more details and a location announcement from the KC Pride Community Alliance coming soon.
- Show-Me State Rodeo, Labor Day Weekend: Presented by the Missouri Gay Rodeo Association since 1986, the Show-Me State Rodeo is held at the Lone Wolf Arena in Cleveland, MO.
- Out Here Now: Kansas City LGBTQ Film Festival, October 2021: Traditionally spanning more than a week and recognized as one of the Midwest's most celebrated LGBTQ film festivals, Out Here Now elevates independent films created by, for and about the LGBTQ community.
THEATRE AND MUSIC
- Heartland Men’s Chorus: Performing in Kansas City since 1986, the group of more than 150 singers performs three concerts per season inside the historic Folly Theater. The current season is being offered virtually, with performances available on the organization's website.
- Mid America Freedom Band: The organization dedicated to producing instrumental performance opportunities for Kansas City's LGBTQ+ and ally community maintains a wind ensemble, jazz band and pep band. Current performances are available virtually.
- Weekly Shows at Missie B's: Check the schedule for regular cabarets, open mic nights and other recurring performances at the popular Westport nightclub.
- Watch for more shows throughout the year at The Unicorn Theatre, Kansas City Repertory Theatre, Starlight Theatre and other regional theaters.
GAY BARS & NIGHTLIFE
- Missie B's: Whether your plans include drag shows, dancing, drinks or all of the above, Missie B's has it all, making it an easy pick for one of the most popular gay bars in town.
- Woody's KC: With a full calendar of events and a popular patio featuring a photo-friendly set of pride stairs, this Midtown destination draws a steady crowd of visitors and locals alike.
Bistro 303: A laid-back restaurant and bar, Bistro 303 was the first gay bar in Kansas City to have street-facing windows. Grab a cocktail and relax in its cozy space.
- Hamburger Mary's: Burgers and bingo combine for the perfect combo at this Midtown establishment with events every night of the week.
- Sidekicks Saloon: A popular dive bar, patrons love Sidekicks for its excellent patio, drag shows and plenty more fun.
- Queer Bar Takeover KC: Keep an eye on this event as it pops up in locations all across Kansas City, taking over a new bar on the second Saturday of each month.
- Kansas City Center for Inclusion, Inc.: Community center in Midtown open seven days a week and serving all segments of the LGBTQ community
- Passages: Youth center for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, questioning youth and straight allies
- EQUAL: (Empowering Queer Activists and Leaders) – KC’s for-youth, by-youth Gay Straight Alliance Network
CIVIC AND COMMUNITY ORGANIZATIONS
- City of Kansas City, Mo.: Resources and initiatives for Kansas City's LGBTQ+ community enacted by City officials
- Campfire USA Heartland: KC chapter of all-inclusive alternative to scouting programs
- GLSEN Kansas City Chapter: Local affiliate of the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network
- IGLTA: International Gay & Lesbian Travel Association
- Kansas Equality Coalition: Membership-based statewide community group dedicated to legal equality for all in the Sunflower State
- Mid-American LGBT Chamber of Commerce: Advocates and promote success of LGBTQ business community
- Modern Family Alliance: Celebrating LGBTQ parents, prospective parents and those who support them
- PFLAG-KC: Kansas City chapter of Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- PROMO: Missouri’s statewide organization advocating LGBTQ equality through legislative action, grassroots organizing and community education
PUBLICATIONS & MEDIA
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- Kansas City CARE Clinic: Specializing in quality care, access, research and education to underserved and all people in the community
- Thrive Health Connection: Advocacy, care and education to those affected by HIV/AIDS in Kansas City
- Hope Care Center: Skilled nursing facility providing care to HIV-positive residents who are 18 and older
- SAVE, Inc.: Transitional and permanent housing in Kansas City for vulnerable communities
- Meetup: Members of the KC LGBTQ community gathering under shared interests
- Johnson County Community College: JCCC Gender and Sexuality Alliance
- Metropolitan Community College: Groups and resources across MCC's campuses include Sexuality and Gender Acceptance at Maple Woods, True Colors at Longview and Sexuality and Gender Alliance at Penn Valley
- Missouri Western State University: MWSU Gender and Sexuality Alliance
- Park University: Park University Spectrum program
- Rockhurst University: Rockhurst UNITY, Rockhurst's gay-straight alliance
- University of Central Missouri: UCM's LGBTQIA+ community group, UCM Prism
- University of Kansas: Center for Sexuality & Gender Diversity
- University of Missouri – Kansas City: LGBTQIA programs inside the Office of Student Involvement