Kansas City’s Tiki Takeover
Feel that breeze? The smell of the ocean? It’s true—Pacific island tastes have sailed into KC thanks to an array of tiki concepts and cocktails that keep the sun shining and tropical flavors flowing all year long.
It shouldn’t come as a surprise that TikiCat was named the world’s best tiki bar in 2017—the underground speakeasy (found beneath HopCat in Westport) boasts a drink menu overseen by an award-winning mixologist and authentic décor that transports even the most skeptical tiki fan to paradise.
Count on classics such as the Mai Tai and Zombie, plus riffs on old favorites featuring bourbon, gin and more, all in a remarkably lush space filled with palms, funky furniture and other island-themed decorations.
The walk-up stop’s menu is full of fresh dishes—Baja shrimp tacos and Tikibowls stand out—mixed with other crave-worthy tastes, such as elote (seasoned corn on the cob), queso-loaded nachos and a steak and shrimp burrito.
Menus change seasonally—and the bartenders are game to make anything to your preference, tiki flavors included—but visitors can count on plenty of rum, pineapple and coconut to go around.
The Well Bar, Grill & Rooftop
The drink combines white rum, St. Germain, pineapple juice and mint lime syrup for the perfect, refreshing complement to the establishment’s much-lauded rooftop and warm summer nights.
Other area watering holes serve up seasonal libations that keep guests coming around for more. Keep and eye on the following hangs:
- Manifesto – A classy speakeasy that slings quirkily named drinks beneath The Rieger.
- Swordfish Tom’s – Low-key lounge that touts an expansive menu focused on the Manhattan.
- Ça Va – Champagne bar featuring bubbles and comforting accompaniments.
- The Monarch Bar – High-end, artfully prepared drinks shine in this beautiful Country Club Plaza bar.
- The W – Intimate Lee’s Summit club with creative takes on traditional favorites.
- Julep – Whiskey-centric Westport club with plenty of bites and beers.
- The Brass Onion – Overland Park’s hot new restaurant that touts plates and pours—and features a stellar cocktail menu.