Queer Eye in KC | Season 4, Episode 7: Soldier Returns Home
In many ways, Brandonn never came to grips with his medical discharge from the military. The military veteran sunk himself into his work for other vets, but the Fab 5 help Brandon reconnect with his family—and himself—as he finds balance in civilian life.
Life After Queer Eye
Kansas City is a tightknit community.
Some know this from the start—whether they’re born here or recently relocated—but for others, this realization isn’t quite as immediate. Sometimes, it takes a Netflix production to really drive the point home.
“I never pictured Kansas City being so welcoming and warming to outsiders,” says Mixon. “You see NYC and California being these typical cities, so it was really neat to see that KC can be that type of community and see the togetherness it brings.”
Viewers are likely familiar with Mixon’s loving nature, particularly towards his family and community of veterans. That said, the father and husband formed friendships beyond those with Bobby, Karamo, Antoni, JVN and Tan.
“I really enjoyed the Fab 5, but my favorite interaction was with the staff,” he says. “The sound guys and videographers were very down to earth and felt like that really cared about me.”
This shouldn’t come as a surprise, though, considering much of the production staff consisted of local industry professionals. Kansas Citians love to talk about their friendliness for a reason—because people are friendly here. And they love their barbecue.
It’s clear that the work Mixon does through the Veterans Community Project shows that he cares for his city and those in need. It’s this commitment that proves he’s a true Kansas Citian, through and through.
“I’m proud of the city and I can honestly say that we welcome everybody with open arms,” he says. “I’m proud to say that this is where I’m from.”
Ways to Experience this Episode
- National WWI Museum and Memorial: Karamo and Brandon visit this fascinating national museum that pays tribute to the veterans who fought in the Great War—and adds context to how the conflict still shapes the world today.
- Lidia’s: Helmed by famed celebrity chef Lidia Bastianich, Lidia’s is a local treasure in the culinary scene that specializes in upscale Italian dishes and a matching ambiance ideal for dates, celebrations and networking events.
- Union Station: Union Station is one of the icons in Kansas City culture and architecture. Visit for world-renowned traveling exhibitions, family-friendly experiences and other memorable good times.
- Bonobos: Get your look in order with khakis, shirts and other hip threads offered by this national retailer known for its emphasis on finding the right fit, no matter your shape or size.
Also Featured in this Episode
- Veteran’s Community Project: Cofounded by hero Brandon, the Veteran’s Community Project builds tiny homes for local vets in need of housing. Learn how to donate time or money by visiting the website.
- Scissors & Scotch: Part salon, part spa, this barbering experience offers specialty grooming services in a relaxed atmosphere, plus cocktails, liquor, coffee and draft beers for visitors.