Kansas City's Craft Beer Scene
Kansas City’s craft beer scene is brewing.
Kansas City craft beer has come a long way since its humble beginnings in 1989. From a brewer tapping a keg in the back of a pickup truck to a one-of-a-kind biergarten and massive operations shipping brews nationwide, there’s never been a better time to be a craft beer fan in KC.
Kc Tap Tour
The KC Tap Tour highlights the craftsmanship area brewers put into creating their beers. Countless hours of planning and preparation go into that hoppy, malty beverage you love to drink. But time is limited and breweries vast, so strike while the iron is hot and the beer is cold.
Known for barbecue, jazz and fountains, Kansas City breweries have made the city one of the most popular craft beer destinations in the country. Get to know each one before visiting.
Killer Craft Beer Bars
- Bier Station – Part retail shop, part neighborhood hangout, Bier Station takes the tasting room to a new level thanks to excellent selection and local brewery collaboration.
- Tapcade – Craft beer + retro arcade games + delicious bar food = this funky joint in the Crossroads Arts District. Draft or bottle, Tapcade always touts a unique selection of brews.
- HopCat – Westport’s latest hotspot features a full menu of beers on tap. Plus, there’s something for everyone thanks to unrivaled rooftop views and the kitchen’s signature crack fries.
- No Other Pub – There’s more to this Power & Light District sports bar than just wall-to-wall TVs and great craft beer. Get in the game by competing against friends in ping pong, bowling, shuffleboard and more.
- International Tap House – The name says it all: from Belgian wits to strong, locally brewed stouts, KC’s iTap is home to one of the largest craft beer selections in the city.
- Up-Down – This popular Crossroads hangout combines restored arcade games and pinball machines with local craft brews and drinks, plus an excellent patio.
Major KC Craft Beer Festivals
- Boulevardia – Boulevard Brewing’s flagship festival combines live music, maker goods, top-shelf bites and amazing craft beer to make one of the most popular events in the city.
- Parkville Microbrew Fest – This summer festival, which takes place just north of Downtown KC, features abundant craft beer samples all included with the purchase of admission. Even better? Share your input by rating beers you love.
- Westport Strong Ale Fest – More than 30 craft breweries are represented at this festival that takes place in the heart of Westport. Each beer boasts an ABV of 8 percent or higher—a sure sign that this event isn’t for the faint of heart.
- KC Beer Fest – Between rare keg tappings, live music and mouth-watering tastes, there’s no better way to spend an afternoon than at KC Beer Fest, all spread across two blocks in the Power & Light District.
Stop and listen, and you might notice something in Kansas City. The crescendoing sound you hear is a harmonious mix of boiling wort, clinking glasses and popped bottle caps that indicates something special: a beer revolution.
In Kansas City, we enjoy a rich grape growing and winemaking history. Ready to swirl, smell and sip some of our local terroir? Here are some local wineries on both sides of the state line to help get you started.