Travelers with Disabilities
Accessing Kansas City has never been easier. Browse the list of visitor-friendly resources below to make your client’s stay in Kansas City a comfortable one.
- At Kansas City International Airport
- At the Kansas City Convention Center
- At Area Hotels
- Other Services
- ADA Assistance Office
- Helpful Links
At Kansas City International Airport
- All high-traffic areas of Kansas City International Airport (KCI) are wheelchair accessible—including the ticketing and baggage claim areas. Elevators are located near each escalator.
- All KCI parking facilities offer 30 minutes free, and all buses have wheelchair lifts and kneeling capabilities.
- All restrooms within the terminal buildings comply with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. Attendant care facilities are available throughout the terminals.
- Text Teletype for the Hearing Impaired (TDD/TTY) telephones are located throughout all three terminal buildings. Each unit is marked with the international symbol for TDD/TTY. All boarding announcements and pages made in the terminals are visible on the electronic signs located on the passenger service level of the terminal buildings.
- Braille signage exists in most public areas for the sight impaired.
- Wheelchairs are provided by the airlines for their customers. Service can be requested from the airline in advance or at the ticket counter when you check in.
The following airlines provide service at KCI:
Air Canada888-247-2262Terminal AAir Tran800-247-8726Terminal BAlaska Airlines800-252-7522Terminal BAmerican 800-433-7300Terminal CDelta800-221-1212Terminal BFrontier 800-432-1359Terminal ASouthwest800-435-9792Terminal BUnited800-241-6522Terminal AUS Airways800-428-4322Terminal A
For more information about KCI, visit FlyKCI.com.
At the Kansas City Convention Center
Convention Center amenities include ADA-compliant restrooms, family restroom facilities, Text Teletype and assisted listening devices. The Convention Center’s hospitality room will assist meeting planners in securing any other needed equipment. To speak with the Convention Center’s ADA specialist, call 816-513-2533.
At Area Hotels
For Visitors: Using our hotel search engine, you can select the specific amenities needed or call the 800 number for assistance in finding a hotel that will meet your needs.
For Meeting Planners: Ask for your hotel’s ADA coordinator for more information about securing a room that meets your client’s specific needs. For assistance locating a hotel in the metro area, click here.
Reduced Bus Fare
Reduced fare programs can save money for senior citizens, persons with disabilities, and youths. With a Reduced Farecard or a Medicare Card, qualifying persons can ride all regular service at a reduced fare. Simply show or swipe your Reduced Farecard or Medicare Card and pay the reduced fare. The 31-Day Passes may also be purchased at a reduced rate. Both the Reduced Farecard and the 31-Day Pass must be shown to the driver when boarding. Learn more.
RideKC Freedom offers two types of services, ADA paratransit and non-ADA demand response. The ADA paratransit service is operated within ¾-mile of local bus routes and costs $3 per one-way trip. The non-ADA demand response service has a larger service area and cost is determined by the length of the trip. To utilize these services you must first go through the eligibility process. For questions about how to apply for and use the services please call 816-842-9070, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.–4:45 p.m. Learn more.
ADA Service for Visitors
Out-of-town visitors, who are ADA eligible in their home city or have an apparent disability, can use RideKC Freedom Paratransit Services for up to 21 days in a 365 day period. Visitors must contact RideKC Freedom Regional Eligibility Office, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.- 4:45 p.m., at 816-842-8070, option 5. Once this is done, advance reservations can be made up to 14 days in advance. However, reservations must be made at least the day before a scheduled trip by 4:45 p.m. Learn more.
The Americans with Disabilities Act requires that all public bus systems provide “comparable paratransit” service for persons who cannot independently use the bus service. Comparable paratransit service is a door-to-door service provided by vans or cabs in The Metro ADA service area. Generally, this service area extends three quarters of a mile on each side of regular bus route service. Comparable paratransit service is available during regular Metro service hours. To take advantage of this service, the visitor must be certified as ADA eligible. Agencies providing ADA comparable paratransit service in the metro area are:
- Share-A-Fare (primarily Kansas City, Mo.): 816-346-0810
- Dial-A-Ride (Kansas City, Kan.): 913-573-8351
- Dial-A-Ride (Independence, Mo.): 816-325-7399
Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Services
- Yellow Cab - Kansas City, W/C accessible vans available: 816-512-8020
- Assisted Healthcare Transportation: 913-262-5190
- Budget Taxi: 816-835-7172
- Checker Services: 816-461-8440
- Medical Transport Services (Basehor, Kan.): 913-963-9117
- Mid-America Wheelchair Services Inc. (Lee’s Summit, Mo.): 816-525-2790
- OATS Inc. (Harrisonville, Mo.): 816-380-7433
- Safe Plus Way: 816-361-5992
- Safe Way Medical Transportation (Shawnee, Kan.): 816-631-5992
- Tiblow Transit (Bonner Springs, Kan.): 913-422-5355
- Able Hands Interpreting Services: 816-838-HAND
- Deaf Expression Inc.: 913-268-3323
- Personal Care Attendants
- FirstCall Home Care: 816-373-9688
- Care Staff of Kansas City: 913-498-2888
- Dignitary Healthcare: 816-318-4777
Wheelchairs and Lifts
- Chuck’s Mobility: 913-859-0290
- Kansas City Health Systems Mediquip: 816-872-3033
- LivEasy Medical Equipment: 816-318-9950
- Kansas City Health Systems Mediquip: 816-872-3033
- American Mobility Solutions: 913-901-8515
- Handicap Conversions: 816-471-0305
Kansas City ADA Assistance Office