Travelers with Disabilities
Accessing Kansas City has never been easier. Browse the list of visitor-friendly resources below to make your client’s stay in Kansas City a comfortable one.
At Kansas City International Airport
Curbside Assistance at Terminals
Wheelchair reservations and curbside assistance can be arranged by calling your airline. Click here for airline phone numbers. If no assistance is available at the curb, notify an Airport Police Officer of Traffic Control Officer. Or call 816-243-5237.
- Federal law prohibits curbside parking. Any vehicle parked or left unattended at terminal curbs will be ticketed and towed.
- Curbs may be used for immediate loading and unloading.
- A separate assistant and driver are recommended when picking up or dropping off disabled travelers.
- The Garage and Circle parking facilities offer 30 minutes for $1.00.
- The Circle Parking areas offer disabled parking in section E-3.
- All buses, including those serving Economy Parking, have wheelchair lifts and kneeling capability.
- Maximum vehicle height:
- Garage A: 7’2
- Garage B: 7’4
- Garage C: 8’2
- Over-height vehicles should use the Economy Parking Lot
All high-traffic areas of the airport are wheelchair-accessible by elevators, including ticketing and baggage claim. Elevators are located near each escalator.
All public restrooms and family restrooms are wheelchair-accessible and located throughout all terminals.
Visual paging monitors are located throughout the terminals. The monitors provide taxi and security alert information, and public announcements are displayed by request.
Traveling with Autism
Air travel can be challenging for children and adults with autism. We recommend visiting the Autism Speaks website for travel tips.
Braille signage exists in most public areas for the sight-impaired.
Service Animal Relief Areas
Public rest areas for service animals are outside each end of Terminal B and Terminal C in the grassy areas adjacent to pedestrian ramps. They are marked with instructional signs and include special waste receptacles and biodegradable bags. There is also one animal relief area post-security inside a departure lounge in Terminal C. Passengers with animals flying on Alaska, American, Frontier and Spirit have access to this room. This oversized space features a large basin with artificial grass and a water spray nozzle to wash down the area. There are also plastic bags and supplies to clean up any solid waste.
Airport LEP Guests
For over the phone translation service, please contact the Airport Communications Center at (816) 243-5237. This service is available 24/7 at no cost to the user.
For more information about KCI, visit FlyKCI.com.
At the Kansas City Convention Center
The Kansas City Convention Center is dedicated to providing an accessible and enjoyable experience to all patrons including services for those who may need auditory, visual or mobility assistance.
Patron Access to Seating
All performances at the Kansas City Music Hall are accessible to people who require assistance. All seats within the Orchestra Level are accessible without the use of any stairs. Four wheel-chair designated seating areas are also available on the Orchestra Level, and an adjacent companion seat is available for purchase.
Accessible Parking and Drop-Off Lanes
Handicapped parking spots are marked and designated in the Barney Allis Plaza Parking Garage, available on a first come / first serve basis. The Kansas City Music Hall can be accessed via these spots through elevators. Parking rates are $1/15 min up to a daily max of $12 every 24 hours. Valet parking is available on some weekend performances, call to confirm. Guests may also be dropped off in front of the Kansas City Music Hall by utilizing the south lane on 13th Street at the corner of 13th Street and Central Street.
The Kansas City Music Hall has complimentary wheelchairs available for use by our patrons. Wheelchairs are available on a first come / first serve basis and cannot be reserved prior to arrival. Wheelchairs can be checked out at the Event Services Office on Level 1 of the Convention Center. There is no charge to borrow a wheelchair; however, a driver’s license is required and will be held until the wheelchair is returned. For wheelchair inquiries, call 816.513.5000.
Public Elevator Use
Elevators located in the Kansas City Music Hall make all levels accessible.
Assisted Listening Devices
Assisted listening device headphones are available for use by hearing-impaired patrons during most performances. There is no charge for the use of these devices; however, a driver’s license is required and will be held until the equipment is returned. Please see the box office or any usher for assistance with acquiring an assisted listening device.
At Area Hotels
Using our hotel search engine, you can locate the specific amenities needed or call the 800 number for assistance in finding a hotel that will meet your needs.
For Meeting Planners
Ask for your hotel’s ADA coordinator for more information about securing a room that meets your client’s specific needs. For assistance locating a hotel in the metro area, click here.
Zero Fare RideKC Transit
This groundbreaking initiative designed to provide zero fare transit service to the metro area was unanimously supported by Mayor Quinton Lucas and the city council and bolsters Kansas City’s reputation as truly world-class. With free bus rides to be available throughout Kansas City, MO, a few favorite destinations will become easier than ever to reach. Visitors and locals alike can soon shop, dine and entertain without worrying how to get there. Learn more on how to reach KC destinations by RideKC Transit.
RideKC Freedom offers two types of services, ADA paratransit and non-ADA demand response. The ADA paratransit service is operated within ¾-mile of local bus routes and costs $3 per one-way trip. The non-ADA demand response service has a larger service area and cost is determined by the length of the trip. To utilize these services you must first go through the eligibility process. For questions about how to apply for and use the services please call 816-842-9070, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.–4:45 p.m. Learn more.
ADA Service for Visitors
Out-of-town visitors, who are ADA eligible in their home city or have an apparent disability, can use RideKC Freedom Paratransit Services for up to 21 days in a 365 day period. Visitors must contact RideKC Freedom Regional Eligibility Office, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.- 4:45 p.m., at 816-842-8070, option 5. Once this is done, advance reservations can be made up to 14 days in advance. However, reservations must be made at least the day before a scheduled trip by 4:45 p.m. Learn more.
The Americans with Disabilities Act requires that all public bus systems provide “comparable paratransit” service for persons who cannot independently use the bus service. Comparable paratransit service is a door-to-door service provided by vans or cabs in The Metro ADA service area. Generally, this service area extends three quarters of a mile on each side of regular bus route service. Comparable paratransit service is available during regular Metro service hours. To take advantage of this service, the visitor must be certified as ADA eligible. Agencies providing ADA comparable paratransit service in the metro area are:
- Dial-A-Ride (Kansas City, Kan.): 913-573-8351
- IndeAccess (Independence, Mo.): 816-325-7399
Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Services
- Secure Transport - Kansas City, wheelchair accessible vehicles available: 816-350-1800
- zTrip - Kansas City, wheelchair accessible vehicles available
- Assisted Healthcare Transportation: 913-262-5190
- Budget Taxi: 816-835-7172
- Checker Services: 816-461-8440
- Medical Transport Services (Basehor, Kan.): 913-963-9117
- Mid-America Wheelchair Services Inc. (Lee’s Summit, Mo.): 816-525-2790
- OATS Inc. (Harrisonville, Mo.): 816-380-7433
- Safe Plus Way: 816-361-5992
- Safe Way Medical Transportation (Shawnee, Kan.): 816-631-5992
- Tiblow Transit (Bonner Springs, Kan.): 913-422-5355
Other Services & Interpreters
- Able Hands Interpreting Services: 816-838-HAND
- Deaf Expression Inc.: 913-268-3323
- Personal Care Attendants
- FirstCall Home Care: 816-373-9688
- Care Staff of Kansas City: 913-498-2888
- Dignitary Healthcare: 816-318-4777
Wheelchairs and Lifts
- Chuck’s Mobility: 913-859-0290
- LivEasy Medical Equipment: 816-318-9950
- American Mobility Solutions: 913-901-8515
- Handicap Conversions: 816-471-0305
Kansas City ADA Assistance Office
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Office - 816-513-6566
- Kansas City Convention Center - www.kcconvention.com
- Kansas City Area Transportation Authority - www.kcata.org
- Kansas City International Airport - www.flykci.com
- Americans with Disabilities Act - www.ada.gov