Wea Mission Monument
The mission was operated by the Presbyterian Mission from 1834 until 1838. The government bought the mission later selling the property to the Wea Baptiste Mission, which had been established by David Lykins and his wife, Abigail, and a teacher, Sarah Osgood. The Wea Baptiste Mission existed until 1857. At that time, the property was sold to Robert and Alice McGrath. The McGrath family later sold the property to the Carrothers family in 1945. The Carrothers and heirs deeded these 1.6 acres to the City of Paola for historic preservation. A stone and bronze monument of Baptiste Peoria was erected by the Miami County Medical Center on the hospital grounds honoring this site.