$5 adults, $4 seniors (over 60), $3 children 5-12
Open 10:30am-4:30pm Tue.- Sat.
John and Letitia Foster purchased lots 8, 9, and 10 on the NorthWest corner of Fifth Avenue and Middle Street . The purchase included a two story, four-room frame house with a one-story rear kitchen wing for $900. In about 1867 Foster replaced the frame house with a large brick Italinate. In August 1876, the Fosters sold the property to Major David Taylor for $6,100, who four years later sold the property to Lucien and Julia Scott for $5,200.
Lucien Scott hired local carpenter to expand the house into a sixteen room Queen Anne Victorian mansion. Additions were built on both sides and the back of the house, porches were expanded and the roof altered. The elaborately carved woodwork to many of the rooms, plumbing and gas lighting were also installed in the dwelling. The Scott’s lavish entertaining made their home one of the city’s social gathering places in the 1880s.
In 1887 the Scott's sold the property to Edward Carroll, for $20,500. The Carrol family lived in the house for seventy-seven years. Edward's daughter, Ella, donated the home to the Leavenworth County Historical Society in 1964.