Great Bloody Marys in Kansas City
There’s hardly a more ubiquitous combination than brunch and the Bloody Mary. For the uninitiated, the eye-opening concoction typically consists of vodka, tomato juice and any number of additional ingredients, making it the perfect companion to get good times going—or act as a savory hair-of-the-dog supplement the morning after a night of revelry.
No matter how you enjoy them, Kansas City offers incredible renditions and unique twists on the popular cocktail.
Find some of the most popular Bloody Marys in the region:
The dichotomy between after-hours entertainment and brunchtime define the social scene in Westport, Kansas City’s original nightlife district. With great brunch comes great Bloody Marys, and Westport doesn’t disappoint.
- Port Fonda: Craft Mexican cooking perfectly pairs with Port Fonda’s build-your-own-bloody bar. Expect abundant offerings like chicharrons, tomatillo base, vodka, tequila, mescal and more in this hip hangout.
- Char Bar: Westport’s resident barbecue joint offers three delightful renditions of the Bloody Mary: the first resembles traditional interpretations, the second involves spicy Habanero-infused moonshine (and other hot ingredients) and the final interpretation combines bourbon, au jus, meat seasoning and smoked beef jerky.
- Westport Café and Bar: Start your meal right with French fare such as croque madames, omelets, quiche Lorraine and more—and savor your first Bloody Mary on the house. Arrive early, because the line starts forming well before this popular restaurant opens its doors.
- Beer Kitchen: Pick between four very different Bloody Mary executions at this satisfying gastropub. Order the standard mix or venture into uncharted waters with a Cajun-style take, a gin-forward version and an option for bacon lovers.
Country Club Plaza
Brunch amid Spanish-inspired architecture at the Country Club Plaza. Afterwards, shop market-exclusive designer brands alongside Kansas City-original shops to enjoy the perfect morning.
- Rye: Midwestern cuisine rises to new heights at Rye, a brunch mainstay helmed by James Beard Award royalty: winner Colby Garrelts and semifinalist Megan Garrelts. Sip the house Bloody Mary in between bites of shrimp & grits or biscuits & gravy to enjoy your morning meal.
- Jax Fish House: For patrons of Jax, The Commodore is an extravagant (and photogenic) Bloody Mary selection, which includes Thai chili vodka and comes topped with a king crab leg, shrimp, oyster and caviar. For those feeling less adventurous, there’s a standard option that’s great as well.
- Mission Taco Joint: Street tacos are all the buzz at Mission Taco, but don’t overlook the michelada, a “beertail” that fuses Bloody Mary flavors with a smooth Mexican Lager finish.
- BLVD Tavern: Cozy and cool in all the right ways, BLVD Tavern shines during brunch, when bottomless Bloody Marys are poured aplenty as part of the brunch flight, featuring mix and match with rum punch and mimosas. Pair it with the larger-than-life chicken-n-biscuit or brioche French toast stuffed with blueberry cream cheese to truly treat yourself.
- Happy Gillis: A modern take on the neighborhood diner, Happy Gillis offers both a house Bloody and a kimchi Bloody for a unique Korean take on the mid-morning cocktail.
- Bristol: This fresh seafood concept in the Power & Light District features a full bloody bar during brunch. Pair one of four Bloody Mary styles with Belgian waffles, smoked fish, charred calamari, a prime rib carving station and other excellent buffet selections.
- Grinders: Take the party to the East Crossroads, where quirky staple Grinders serves up unexpected takes on bar and street bites. Heatseekers love the Loaded Mary for its Habanero-infused vodka, a “molten” sauce and other Bloody seasonings and flavors.