Kansas City's Health, Safety and Reopening Guidelines
Visit KC’s main priority is the safety and well-being of the region’s residents, visitors and convention attendees. To learn more, please read this letter from Visit KC's Sales and Services team.
Updated May 14, 2021
- Effective May 14, 2021, and in tandem with CDC guidelines, masks and social distancing are no longer required in indoor spaces within Kansas City, Missouri. KC's 14th Emergency Order has been rescinded. More information
- Note, individual business establishments and municipalities outside of KCMO may enforce their own guidelines, including but not limited to mask mandates, social distancing and other health/sanitation protocols.
Kansas City Convention Center
The Kansas City Convention Center is following the recommendations of the Kansas City Department of Health, the Governor of Missouri and the Mayor of Kansas City. The Kansas City Convention Center has achieved STAR accreditation from the Global Biorisk Advisory Council (GBAC), recognizing a higher standard for proper cleaning protocols, disinfection techniques and work practices in place to combat biohazards and infectious disease. Read the full release here.
Kansas City International Airport
The Kansas City Aviation Department is working diligently to provide a safe, secure and healthy environment for all travelers and employees at Kansas City International Airport. Department leaders are in close contact with the Kansas City Health Department and other expert agencies and support those agencies’ efforts.
Bars, Restaurants and Taverns
Many restaurants have reinstated dine-in services while following City guidance on safely reopening, while others maintain curbside pickup and to-go ordering options. Consult directly with these establishments regarding updates to hours and availability.
Kansas City hotels are prioritizing cleanliness for their employees and guests. Below are examples of ways local hoteliers are putting the safety and well being at the forefront.
- Loews Kansas City Hotel
- Kansas City Marriott Downtown
- Westin Crown Center
- Crowne Plaza Kansas City
- Crossroads Hotel
- 21c Museum Hotel
- Hotel Kansas City
- Kansas City Marriott Airport
- Hotel Indigo Kansas City Downtown
- Marriott Kansas City Overland Park
- Hyatt Place Kansas City Airport
- Hyatt Place Overland Park Convention Center
- Home2 Suites Kansas City Airport
Special Event Venues and Stadiums
While there are no longer size restrictions on gatherings, some indoor venues are closed to public events at this time. Visit individual locations for additional information.
Several area attractions have reopened with preventative measures and safety protocols in place. Consult directly with area attractions regarding updates to hours and availability.
Retail stores and malls are currently allowed to open. Face coverings and capacity limitations no longer apply within Kansas City, Missouri. Visit individual store and shopping center websites for current operating procedures and revised schedules.
Visit KC Visitor Center
Visit KC's Downtown Visitor Information Center is currently closed to walk-in visits. Staff is available by phone and email during business hours, or you can keep up-to-date with Kansas City happenings via social media.
For the most accurate and up-to-date local information surrounding Coronavirus, we encourage you to visit the following additional resources.
- City of Kansas City, Missouri
- KCMO Health Department – Planning for a Pandemic
- Coronavirus FAQs
- KC Event Hub - Guidelines for Outdoor Events & Races
- Destinations International COVID-19 Travel Industry Resources
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization
- U.S. Travel Association Preparedness and Response
- PCMA – What Event Professionals Need to Know
- MPO – Coronavirus Resources for Meeting Professionals
- Meetings Mean Business Coalition – Open Letter
- MySidewalk – How This Impacts Jackson County
- ACL – COVID-19 Information for Seniors and People with Disabilities
- The ADA, the Rehabilitation Act and COVID-19
- Missouri Restaurant Association Commitment
- How to Prevent the Spread of Coronavirus at In-Person Events -- Successful Meetings
Our goal is to provide the most current and accurate information; however, changes do occur. Please check directly with individual businesses and organizations to confirm their most up-to-date guidelines.