Presented by Kansas City Bier Company, Kansas City's largest locally-owned brewery, KC Oktoberfest takes place October 4-5, 2019 at Crown Center. Modeled after the traditional Munich Oktoberfest, KC Oktoberfest will feature KC Bier Co's award-winning bier made from 100% German malt and hops, German and American cuisine, "Festmusik" performed by local and national bands, dancers, shopping, crafts, games and competitions for children and adults. In addition to the expansive festival grounds offering food and activities, two expansive tents will provide traditional Bierhalle bench-and-table seating for thousands of revelers come rain or shine.
Festival Bier and Wein
To reduce cup waste and provide a proper Bavarian-style Oktoberfest experience, attendees must purchase souvenir mugs to order bier. The empty half- and full-liter mugs sell for $3 and $5, respectively. Filling the mugs will cost $6/half-liter and $12/liter. '
Festbier, the official festival bier, is a clean, crisp, malty Vienna-Style Lager brewed with 100% imported German malt and hops. In 2018, Festbier received a "World Class" 96 rating from The Beer Connoisseur magazine and was named the 10th Best Beer of 2018 in the magazine's list of Top 100 Beers of 2018.
Along with Festbier, all four of KC Bier Cos year-round biers, Dunkel, Hefeweizen, Helles Lager and Pils will be poured. The Spezial Bier and Wein Tent will offer select small-batch and seasonal bier varieties, along with KC Bier Co. cider, and red and white German wines.
KC Oktoberfest will showcase some of the finest national, regional and local Oktoberfest-style bands on two covered stages.
- Die Schlauberger, New York: A seven-piece Alpine Rock powerhouse of vocals, guitars, bass, drums, accordions, fiddles and horns whose mission is "keeping the traditionalists on their feet and the new generation engaged."
- Das ist Lustig, Houston: A high-energy trio performing spirited renditions of traditional folk songs from Germany, Austria, Netherlands, Czech Republic and America, with an emphasis on audience interaction.
- The Polka Brothers, New York: A well-oiled four-piece polka machine boasting a fearless repertoire that includes classic polka favorites, covers of modern pop and rock in polka style, and original polka party songs.
- Bram Wijnands Polka on Steroids, Kansas City: Led by accomplished pianist and accordionist Bram Wijnands, who has crafted a unique entertainment experience for more than 25 years in Kansas City, Polka on Steroids leads audiences through a show of polka and Kansas City-style fun.
- Festhaus-Musikanten, Kansas City: A 10-piece wind band dedicated to the performance of traditional folk music, polkas, marches, waltzes, and more from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and the Czech Republic.
- The Happy Wanderers, Kansas City: A quintet of wind instruments which performs original arrangements of traditional German, Austrian and Swiss songs, plus plenty of non-traditional songs fit for Oktoberfest and other festivals.
Food vendors include Grünauer, Kansas City, featuring Austrian and German favorites; sausages by Scimeca's Sausage Company, Kansas City; and imported Bavarian pretzels by KC Bier Co. Food vendors will accept cash and credit/debit throughout the festival grounds. Stay tuned to kcoktoberfest.com for additional food vendor announcements.
Fun and Games
Attendees can participate in Masskrugstemmen (stein hoisting competition), and Hammerschlagen (nail hammering) in addition to bags, washers, and more. The Best Bavarian Costume and Jimmy John's Pickle Eating contests also will return for the 2019 event. The Kids & Family Activity Zone offers a variety of free family-friendly activities including arts and crafts, classic carnival games and more. Adults can enjoy axe throwing with Blade & Timber plus other to-be-announced activities.