Hot New Kansas City Restaurants to Watch in 2019
Kansas City’s restaurant scene is booming. New and revived concepts have diners clamoring for everything from elevated Southern comfort food to internationally inspired, wood-fired chicken and upscale Italian featuring handmade pastas.
Keep an eye on some of the hottest new KC restaurants to watch in 2019:
- Fox and Pearl: Treat yourself to elevated comfort food without any of the pretension, meaning diners can pair rabbit cannelloni with a 750 mL bottle of Miller High Life and nobody will think twice.
- Silo Modern Farmhouse: The locally sourced fare at this Lenexa-based restaurant has made waves as a hot brunch and date-night spot. Expect savory and decadent twists on American classics.
- Farina: Helmed by James Beard Award-winner Chef Michael Smith, this latest concept puts pasta on a deservedly high pedestal. Creative, handmade and all-around satisfying, Farina is another winner in the Crossroads Arts District.
- Poi-O: To put it plainly, Poi-O has cornered the market on wood-fired chicken in the Westside. With Chef Carlos Mortera—the brains behind The Bite in the River Market—manning the operation, diners can expect plenty of international flavors to enjoy.
- Distrikt Biskuit House: Don’t be fooled by the humble atmosphere: This crave-worthy spot touts one of the finest fried chicken sandwiches in the city. Find it inside the Adam’s Mark Hotel just outside of the Truman Sports Complex, perfect for mornings en route to work or before a Kansas City Royals or Chiefs game.
- Lazia: Elegant and chic, relaxed and unrefined, Lazia is an Italian restaurant that defies expectations. Based in the Crossroads Hotel, the dinner-only establishment features candlelit meals, eclectic wines and a diverse dining menu.
- City Barrel Brewing: The newest addition to the East Crossroads brewing scene also boasts full lunch and dinner menus. Pick your preferred craft beer from the draft list and pair it with everything from thick-cut porkchop to crispy-skin salmon.
Everyone loves a good comeback story. Fans of longtime favorites have something to celebrate as these iconic restaurants return to KC’s dining landscape.
- The Savoy at 21c: The historic Savoy Hotel namesake lives on in the marquee restaurant at the 21c Museum Hotel in Downtown Kansas City. Look for a modern take on the traditional meat-focused menus of heartland cuisine.
- Plaza III: Originally founded on the Country Club Plaza and since relocated to Overland Park, this legendary name totally rejuvenated its offerings for its next chapter.
- Golden Ox: The Golden Ox is a steakhouse staple that was revived in 2018 and resides in the West Bottoms. It features cuts of all styles and sizes, including the famous Kansas City strip, which first debuted at the original Golden Ox.
- Waldo Thai Place: With roots in the original Thai Place restaurant that debuted in Overland Park in 1975, this fresh family affair finds itself firmly rooted in the Waldo community thanks to so much more than just pad Thai.
- Pigwich: Relocated to The City Market from its original East Bottoms location, the new iteration of Pigwich offers an expanded menu featuring new additions like fries (!) and a 1/3-pound burger, as well as previous daily menu specials that are now available every day of the week.