Between family-friendly holiday performances and iconic lighting ceremonies—plus everything in between—Kansas City’s winter calendar is full of seasonal delights and memory-making merriment.
- Santa Dives: Starting in November, visitors at the Kansas City Zoo can witness jolly Saint Nick dive and swim with countless penguins in this kid-favorite annual event. Nov. 23-25, Dec. 1-2, 8-9, 15-16
- Crown Center Ice Terrace: Romantic date or full-family outing, lace up your ice skates and join the rest of the city for rounds and rounds of merrymaking at Crown Center. Nov. 2-March 10
- A Legendary Light Show: Legends Outlets Kansas City keeps shoppers in tune with thousands of dazzling lights synchronized to classic holiday songs every 15 minutes. Nov. 17-early Jan.
- Northern Lights: Pick out the perfect gift in Zona Rosa, the Northland’s premier shopping district, while larger-than-life crowns suspended from above illuminate your path every step of the way. Nov. 17-mid-Jan.
- Hall of Fame Classic: Kick off college basketball season with this tournament at Sprint Center and The College Basketball Experience. Be sure not to miss the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame induction ceremony as well. Nov. 18-20
- Christmas in the Park: Gather the whole family and drive through Jackson County’s Longview Park & Lake for this favorite holiday pastime since 1988 that boasts more than 300,000 lights of varying colors and sizes. Nov. 21-Dec. 31
- Downtown Dazzle: Downtown Kansas City’s all-encompassing holiday event features something for everyone, including tours of trendy, urban homes in the Power & Light District, River Market and more popular districts, customized shopping trips and other exclusive experiences. Nov. 22-Dec. 31
- KCP&L Plaza Lights: Whether attending the treasured lighting ceremony—now in its 89th year—after Thanksgiving celebrations or visiting for holiday gift-getting and date-night dinners, this Country Club Plaza tradition is as magical as the season. Nov. 22-mid-Jan.
- Holiday Luminary Walk: Candlelit trails and scenic winter wilderness accompany guests in this beloved event that takes place at Overland Park’s Arboretum & Botanical Gardens. Nov. 23-24, Nov. 30-Dec. 1, Dec. 7-8
- A Very Merry Market: The City Market’s inaugural artisan shopping experience features free admission and plenty of local makers—perfect for finding holiday gifts—plus food, drinks and more festivities. Nov. 23-24
- WinterFest: Holiday cheer is in abundance at Worlds of Fun, as the amusement park transforms into a winter village that comes complete with a nightly tree lighting ceremony, live shows, ice skating and so much more. Select nights Nov. 23-Dec. 31
- Mayor’s Christmas Tree: Nothing inspires awe and wonder during the holiday season quite like this towering tree at Crown Center, which stands more than 100 feet high and shines bright with 7,200-plus white bulbs. Nov. 23-Jan. 1
- Holiday Maker's Market: Browse local maker's wares, apparel and more with a cup of coffee in hand during this festive, four-weekend event at The Roasterie Factory Cafe. Nov. 25, Dec. 2, Dec. 9, Dec. 16
- Victorian Crystal Fantasy at Vaile Mansion: Make your way to Independence to visit this Victorian mansion completely decked out in all its holiday glory. Nov. 25-Dec. 30
- Coleman Dollhouse Opening: Spend the day with your family at The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures for a look at this special, nine-foot-tall dollhouse that's dressed in holiday decorations—an annual tradition in its own right. Dec. 1
- 22nd Annual “A Visit from St. Nicholas”: The Shoal Creek Living History Museum lets visitors of all ages celebrate Santa in 19th-century style. Dec. 1
- Candlelight Homes Tour: Make your way up to Weston for an evening exploring this charming hamlet and featuring tours of three distinct homes. Dec. 1-2
- Missouri Town 1855: A Christmas Celebration: Travel back in time to the mid-1800s and experience the Christmas holiday as the pioneers did during this Missouri Town 1855 event. Dec. 8
- Kansas City Chiefs Home Games: Join the Sea of Red and cheer on the Kansas City Chiefs as they push to finish another strong season at Arrowhead Stadium. Dec. 9, 13, 30
- Winter Wonderland: The holiday season at the Kansas City Zoo culminates in a wintery party featuring diving Santa, a penguin march and plenty more. Dec. 15-16
- New Year’s Eve in Kansas City: New Year’s Eve in Kansas City is a time to celebrate, reflect and look forward to everything that the future holds in the City of Fountains. Dec. 31
- New Year’s Eve at WinterFest: New in 2018, head to Worlds of Fun for this special event featuring live music, Snoopy’s Rockin’ New Year’s Eve Party, fireworks and other family-friendly entertainment. Dec. 31
- 2019 Kansas City Restaurant Week: Enjoy special, multi-course menus at some of KC’s hottest restaurants during this 10-day, two-weekend dining event benefitting the Boys & Girls Clubs of Kansas City. Jan. 11-20
- Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Musical: Perfect for all ages, this beloved Christmas tale receives a charming, lyrical rendition for the stage at the Coterie Theatre. Nov. 6-Dec. 30
- A Christmas Carol: Ebenezer Scrooge discovers the reason for the season in this joyful presentation of Dickens’s Christmas classic, returning to the Kansas City Repertory Theatre’s wonderful Spencer Theatre. Nov. 16-Dec. 24
- Christmas In Song: The entire family will love the music in this spirited holiday show at Quality Hill Playhouse. Select Nights Nov. 19-Dec. 24
- The Nativity: This seasonal favorite put on by Mesner Puppet Theater showcases larger-than-life puppets that bring the biblical story to life at Grace & Holy Trinity Cathedral. Nov. 30-Dec. 2
- The Nutcracker: Head to the marvelous Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts for a captivating Kansas City Ballet performance of this enchanting tale. Nov. 30-Dec. 23
- Winter Wonderland: Join the Kansas City Jazz Orchestra as it swings through the season, featuring modern interpretations of timeless yuletide jingles. Dec. 4
- A Spectacular Christmas Show: MTH Theater at Crown Center’s musical medley of a Christmas show features holiday tunes in a rousing performance you’ll remember the rest of the season. Dec. 6-23
- Handel’s Messiah: This classical masterpiece is a triumph of the season thanks to nearly 200 musicians and vocalists all performing in perfect harmony at the Kauffman Center. Dec. 7-9
- Christmas Festival: Kansas City Symphony’s festive, all-ages concert experience features timeless carols, ringing bells, exceptional musical ensembles and even Saint Nick. Dec. 14-18