Home > Street Closures
Street Closures During Big 12 Tournament
Downtown will welcome thousands of basketball fans as the Phillips 66 Big 12 Men’s’ Basketball Championship returns to Kansas City for an unprecedented 13th time, March 12-15. Please be advised that fan fests and other Championship activities will close the following streets:
- Grand Boulevard (between 13th Street and Truman Road): closed starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 10, through 3 a.m. on Sunday, March 16.
- 14th Street (between Walnut Street and Grand Boulevard): closed starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 10, through 3 a.m. on Sunday, March 16.
- Walnut Street (between 13th and 14th streets): closed starting at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, March 11, through midnight on Sunday, March 16.
- 14th Street (between Walnut Street and Main Street): closed starting at 8 a.m. on Thursday, March 13, through midnight on Friday, March 14.
Click here for a larger view
Due to lane closures and downtown construction pre-plan your trip and look for alternate routes to avoid delays.
Expect Delays on These Routes
- 11th Street: Between Main and Baltimore closed intermittently with no thru traffic.
- 12th Street: Center lane closed between Central and Wyandotte. Expect delays.
- Main Street: Between 10th and 12th streets only one thru lane in each direction. Expect delays.
- Truman Road: One thru traffic lane going westbound from Oak St. to Main St.
Big 12 5K Fun Run and Family Stroll
In addition, Kansas City’s Inaugural Big 12 5K Fun Run and Family Stroll will close the following streets on Saturday, March 15, starting at 10 a.m. and lasting until the conclusion of the race (roughly 11:30 a.m.):
- 13th Street (between Grand Boulevard and Oak Street)
- Oak Street (between 13th and 18th streets)
- 18th Street (between Oak Street and Grand Boulevard)
- Grand Boulevard (between 13th and 17th streets and between 18th Street and Pershing Road)
- Pershing Road (between Grand Boulevard and W Pennway Street)
- W Pennway Street/Broadway Boulevard (between Pershing Road and 20th Street)
- 20th Street (between Broadway Boulevard and Southwest Boulevard)
- Southwest Boulevard (between 20th Street and Wyandotte Street)
- Wyandotte Street (between Southwest Boulevard and 16th Street)
- 16th Street (between Wyandotte Street and Grand Boulevard)
Due to traffic congestion related to these closures, city officials encourage drivers to allow for extra time when traveling through downtown.